Finding all the birds in Texas can be a lifetime pursuit. Basic Texas Birds, an easy-to-use field guide, will help you identify over 180 species of birds that are found across the state, including a selection of the rarer “Texas specialties” that draw birders to Texas from around the world. These are the birds that form the basis of a birder’s life list for Texas.
Basic Texas Birds is organized by bird families to aid in identifying any bird you see in the wild. It is loaded with resources, including:
- 200 full-color, close-up photos of the birds
- State-of-the-art range maps—the most accurate of any currently available—that show each species’ distribution within the state
- Up-to-date species accounts that provide a wealth of current and historical information, including each bird’s appearance, habitat, status, and distribution, and that also identify similar species
- A glossary of terms used in bird identification
- A list of selected readings for learning more about birds found in Texas
- The Texas Ornithological Society’s list of birds documented in Texas
Much more convenient for identifying common birds than a comprehensive state or national field guide, Basic Texas Birds is a must-have resource for both beginning and experienced birders.