- Hardcover, first edition
- By Ken Fitzgerald
- Thunder Bay Press, 2001
Putting archive and contemporary photographs of the same landmark side-by-side, Dallas Then and Now provides a visual chronicle of the city’s past. John Neely Bryan built the first cabin on the side of the Trinity River in 1841, and by 1845, when Texas was admitted to the Union, Dallas County and the town of Dallas were established, taking their name from President James K. Polk’s vice-president George Mifflin Dallas. This collection uses vintage photographs chosen from nearly a million cataloged in the Dallas Public Library from the early days of photography up until the 1960s. Sites include Oak Cliff Viaduct, Founder’s Cabin, the Old Red Courthouse, Dealey Plaza, Trinity River, Union Station, Lamar Street, Elm Street, Magnolia Petroleum building, Dallas Scottish Rite, the Adolphus Hotel, Love Field, Dallas Hall, and the State Fairgrounds.
Condition: Good. A book that has been read but is in good condition. Very minimal damage to the cover including scuff marks, but no holes or tears. The dust jacket for hard covers may not be included. Binding has minimal wear. The majority of pages are undamaged with minimal creasing or tearing, minimal pencil underlining of text, no highlighting of text, no writing in margins. No missing pages. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.